Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Last Year's Abandoned Cornfield


My name is Wayne Gaudon and I am Canadian. How's that for a non-conformal intro. I am a self-learning artist and thankful for today's media explosion and abundance of materials to study.

I painted (Cornfield) last evening; Monday, May 8/2006. The painting is acrylic on Duron hard board and measures 14 x 18 inches in size. The Duron board is 1/8 inch thick and the paint is applied with liberal strokes.

Presently, I am working my butt off trying to become a better landscape artist. After painting in different mannerisms over the last 4 years, I am now at a point where I choose to paint in a realistic manner but not with a classical representation. My favourite artists at the moment pertaining to landscapes are Emile Gruppe and Richard Schmid. (Funny, eh!) , a Canadian artist holding up US artists as role models.

I like the Group of Seven but I need to follow artist that paint in a fashion I enjoy and I enjoy looking at the raw chaos of nature much more than a sylized version of such. Each to their own. Not to mention, I don't have a lot of patience with layers and glazing, etc. I like to just get in there and get it done so I use any method that works for me in getting paint on the surface and I like thick paint, painted Alla Prima (one sitting application). I'm not much on words so that is enough about fundamentals and ideals.

I pass this scene daily on the way to and from my present full time job. (Yuk) Not the scene, the fact that I have to have a full time job. In all reality I should not complain as lots of people have bills to pay and no job to help find funds to pay them. So, ok: be quite Wayne and be thankful. Really, I am.

This is where the old corn field ends and an abandoned hayfield starts. It won't be long before houses or factories dominate this scene as the march of progress is rolling along this sideroad at highway speeds. One day you see a farm; next day you see little wooden sticks with red flags and then houses all lined up and bunched togeather like those on a monopoly board. Ugly! Ugly! Ugly!

2 Comments:

Blogger kim denise said...

They've done the same to every piece of open or wooded land in my town as well. (I live near the southwestern shore of Lake Ontario; we're practically neighbors!) It seems that if they see a tree or a field, they must immediately tear it asunder and throw up plastic homes with manicured monoculture yards. This town is nearly unrecognizable as the place where I grew up.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Wayne Gaudon said...

Kim, for some reason I don't see your last comments here but I did get them in my email. Click on my web link and email me. I will email you back.

Wayne

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home